Why Is Comprehensive Insurance Vital When Moving?

Even with an expert removal company, there are risks involved in moving your possessions from one location to another. Accidents can occasionally happen when moving house, especially if it’s difficult to get things out of your old home or into your new one. And that’s before you consider unavoidable incidents, such as a traffic accident that’s 100% the other driver’s fault.

Careful packing always helps, but for peace of mind you need comprehensive insurance for the move.

Home Insurance Cover

Some home insurance policies offer cover for transporting items out of the house, and this may extend to aspects of moving home. However, the most common risks are often excluded, and restrictions to look out for include:

  • The policy may only be valid if you’re with the items, which would exclude most removals.
  • Most policies exclude cover for valuables, such as jewellery, in transit.
  • Claims are often capped at 10% of the total, with upper limits for single items.
House removals insurance

Specialist Removal Insurance

Unless you’re not bothered whether your possessions are damaged, it’s essential to arrange comprehensive insurance specifically for the move. Many removal companies can arrange this for you; otherwise, they can advise you on what to look for.

All accidental loss or damage will be covered, from the moment your possessions leave your old home to the moment they’re delivered to your new home, although there may be a clause requiring any fragile items to be packed professionally. This can normally be done by your removal company. And, because it’s a short-term policy, there’s usually no excess to pay.

Insuring your possessions for a house move

International Removals

Moving abroad is a more logistically complex operation than a domestic removal, and consequently there are more opportunities for something to go wrong. This is particularly true if you’re using air or sea freight since, unlike the removal company’s own vehicles, these aren’t entirely under their control.

Depending on where you’re moving, your possessions may also have to be examined by customs. This may involve items being unpacked, handled and repacked — plenty of opportunities for an accident. Comprehensive insurance is even more vital for international removals than internal ones.

Storage Solutions

If you’re putting some of your possessions into storage, whether for a short or medium term, you need to make sure you have insurance covering accidental damage or theft. Again, some home insurance policies may cover this, but it’s unlikely that this will cover more than very short-term storage solutions, typically up to 72 hours. Your stored goods will almost certainly also need their own comprehensive cover.

Need advice about insurance for your house move?
Contact our Watford based moving experts today Get in touch today on 01923 801500.